TUTORIAL: THE BROW STRUGGLE!




 Hello people!!
I hope this post won't be too long, because I have quite a lot to say but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible!

 FIRST OF ALL, go down low! , I'll like to thank those that viewed, commented, sent messages, tweeted, broadcasted, shared this blog, you guys have been great! Thank you! Thank you so much!!

SECONDLY, when it comes to makeup, I believe there are no hard rules.What fits somebody else might not look good on you. A particular makeup product say lipstick can be used as something else, like a cream blusher...so in makeup, anything is possible! BUT.... still ,there are only two rules or guidelines I follow which I KNOW is applicable to everyone
  • COMMON  SENSE:. Rules like ''don't use eyeliner in a moving vehicle", "don't overdo-less is more" shouldn't even be made. This is where common sense should be applied!
  • If it doesn't look good (e.g if you're out on the streets and people keep staring and probably avoiding you, or you don't look like a human being anymore), SOAP AND WATER CAN FIX IT
That being said, today's post is a tutorial! From the title I'm sure you already guessed right! BROWS! EYEBROWS!

This is the first thing I see when i look at people just like most makeup artists. I know we've all heard that the brows frame the face and what not! But it could prove a bit difficult trying to fill in sparse brows and getting a decent result. Here are a few things you need to know:

Parts of a brow

  • You can go two shades lighter or darker than your natural eyebrow color depending on the type of look you want to achieve.
  • Natural eyebrows are not perfect. The two on your face aren't identical. except you make use of a ruler, compass, french curve, or you download an app for it #aintnobodygottimeforthat...the two cannot look completely alike. this doesn't mean one should look like a straight line, and the other like a circle. 
  • Most clients tell me "please I want that arch thing o" and I try to explain this to them...always follow your natural eyebrow shape. Don't 'over-curve' because you want to get the arch..lest you look like our surprised aunty below. 
google.com


  • Always end your brows at the "end-point" This point can be measured with a pencil or the handle of a brush. We also don't want to look like this!
    google.com

    • To avoid the box look, start filling in your brows a few cms away from the head of the brow.
    google.com



    Lets get started shall we?!


    WHAT YOU WILL NEED

    Eyebrow pencils: I recommend 2 shades of dark brown pencils. A shade darker than your natural hair and a shade lighter. If you are already good at blending you might not need to get two shades, but it is highly recommended! you also need a pencil that is NOT kohl.. kohl pencils are soft and smudgy and that defeats the purpose of a well defined eyebrow.
    For this tutorial I'll be using Airwoman eyebrow pencils in 003 and 0018. These pencils are easily obtainable and that's why i chose them for this tutorial. They go for about 50-100 Naira a pop and they are fantastic! Davis eye pencils which are more popular can also be used.
    * In stock

      
    Concealer: Concealers are used in the sculpting of the brows. they clean off excess pencils mark and give the brows a nice shape and a highlighted look. In this tutorial, I'll be making use of two shades. The first shade should be about 2 shades  LIGHTER than your color and the second shade should be your EXACT color. Foundation of your color can also be used instead of a second concealer. it also gets the job done nicely. This is to prevent that highlight look above the brow, that makes it  look obvious you sculpted with concealer. most people get this look and we want to avoid that :)

    google.com

    SEE?



    Brushes:
    L-R blending brush, mascara wand, angled brush, eyelash comb





    You'll need an angled brush, brow brush, mascara wand eyelash comb.( I prefer using the eyelash comb it blends faster) and  big blending brush





    Brow filler and Brow Gel
    The brow filler is used to fill in sparse areas in your brow. A dark/light brown eyeshadow can be used. this depends on the look you are going for.
    For this tutorial I'll be using Zaron Eyebrow filler (right)
    On the left is Black Opal's BrownTown..also great for filling the brows! *In stock


    Brow gel is used to hold the brows in place. A clear mascara is a really good substitute. In this tutorial I'll be using a clear mascara- Virgin Italy(what kind of name is that?!). It has been around for a LOOOONG time and it does the job.Can be fond easily in cosmetics shops or open markets. Very cheap too. *In Stock





     Highlighter: This is used on the brow bone to highlight the brows. I'll be using Black Opal eyeshadow in Olympic Gold to achieve this. any subtle, warm and bright shade would be suitable *In stock




    TUTORIAL
     




    Voila!!





    Add some eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, lipgloss.....to finish your look!




     Hope you find this post helpful. please if you have any questions regarding the tutorial or products used, don't hesitate to hit me up at ogunnowoomosalewa@gmail.com or leave a comment! I'll be glad to be of   help!!


     Your Comrade in Beauty,
    Omosalewa


    You Might Also Like

    41 comments

    1. Nice! Very detailed! I like. Will definitely try this.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I've known about the sculpting with concealer for a while, and I always wondered why it had to look fake. I see the trick is using the exact shade of concealer on top of the brow. This is nice. Very imformative. Keep it up!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Glad you learnt something!

        Delete
    3. bisola lagos07 January, 2013

      First of all..go down low! Hahaha! Love your sense of humor. Nice post well written.

      ReplyDelete
    4. This is the best post I've read on sculpting the eyebrows and u r using products that we don't hv to break our backs to buy!!! Keep it up

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This is true..I agree..she makes it look so easy. And the products are very common. It doesn't have to be the high end brands like MAC. This goes to show that it's not always about the tool, but the skill. Love your blog.

        Delete
      2. Thank you guys. hope you keep checking back! x

        Delete
    5. Mashiwa wu, u d best joor kudos!

      ReplyDelete
    6. How do I get some of the products mentioned in this post? Thanks

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Please send me an email ogunnowoomosalewa@gmail.com Thanks

        Delete
      2. That was splendid....I enjoyed it.thanks

        Delete
    7. Thank you so much...this is so helpful

      ReplyDelete
    8. Gud 2 know,nice 1 babes!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Thank you so much, pls where is ur shop situated? It was so informative.....buh I'm afraid I have so much difficulty with my eye brows, deybre very scanty. Don't know hw to work with dem, will need some practical session. Thanks

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi! I'm a freelance artist which means that I can come meet you at your location, but I'm based in Victoria Island.lagos. Please send me a mail for further enquiries! Thanks

        Delete
    10. this is detailed and well explained.Now,im sure il get it right the next time i nid tush up my brows. thanx a bunch!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Nice one,very detailed,kudos to u.need I say dat u ar a very good teacher

      ReplyDelete
    12. Wow can't wait to try it out......dis post answered some questions I had.tnx girl!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Nice one wish it was as easy as u just pointed-out, if I could ave my brow done like that everyday before stepping out I would be getting autographs lol.....

      ReplyDelete
    14. Loveeeee your sense of humour! Love the brows!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Finally. A solution to my problem. Thank you salewa

      ReplyDelete
    16. Nice post.. Really didn't know abt d whole sculting,concealer n 2shades tin..I jus draw ma brow lik d@.. I learnt a lot.. Thnx :)

      ReplyDelete
    17. Uhm, salewa, question please Do u do your brows before or after ur foundation/powder etc??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Well it depends, most times I do it after my foundation and before my powder.. x. It really depends on the type pf foundation i'm using!

        Delete
    18. Fanx so much,nau I knw ma frnds wnt make jest of me.very simple nd straight4ward.kip it up

      ReplyDelete
    19. Nice one there,I av always loved 2 av d perfect eyebrow buh smhw don't get exactly wat I want,now I knw better...very insighthful and economical-PERFECT.kip it up gurl!

      ReplyDelete
    20. wow, thanks for this post. i learnt a lot.

      ReplyDelete
    21. Anonymous17 June, 2013

      Sophie says... This jst saved my marriage hehe.. Well my future marriage!

      ReplyDelete
    22. Anonymous15 July, 2013

      U hav no idea this just solved a lot of problems I can't thank u enough


      Susan Chukwurah

      ReplyDelete
    23. Anonymous15 July, 2013

      U hav no idea this just solved a lot of problems I can't thank u enough


      Susan Chukwurah

      ReplyDelete
    24. Waaaooooo,dis really nice and very informative.. Keep it up babe and can I have your mobile number..

      ReplyDelete
    25. Cheiiiiiii! The truth is finally out! So this is how they do it?! I cnt believe my own eyebrows at the mo! Na me draw this thing? So gorgeous! Thanks babes,this tutorial is sent from heaven. Xoxo

      ReplyDelete
    26. Wow!,felt like I was in a lecture room....really learnt a lot thanks omosalewa

      ReplyDelete
    27. I lov ur blog, so very explainatory. Learnt a whole lot

      ReplyDelete


    28. Makeup artist Patty Bunch says rather than globbing on a lot of concealer for under-eye circles, combine a gentle, moisturizing concealer with see your face lotion such that it doesn't look so dry and caked on so use ours best clear brow gel

      ReplyDelete
    29. Anonymous15 July, 2014

      nice tutorial

      ReplyDelete
    30. well detailed.. u really made it easier.. thanks

      ReplyDelete

    31. eyebrows become an important part of the interface to use obat penebal alis

      ReplyDelete

    Your comment would mean so much!! x