SKINCARE: Beneath Your Beautiful



"Would you let me see beneath your beautiful?
Would you let me see beneath your perfect?
Take it off now, girl, take it off now, girl
I wanna see inside
Would you let me see beneath your beautiful tonight?"


I absolutely love this song by Labrinth! So subtle yet so strong....but this isn't a music post is it? lool
But how many of us would be absolutely comfortable if we were told the words above?? (well i know the song is not about makeup, more like defences, but you get the connection hehehe!) "take it off now girl"....ehn?  take what off? of course not my makeup...odikwa very risky!

Bisi is the gorgeous girl pictured above. What lays beneath her makeup is a beautiful skin, an almost flawless and blemish free canvas that would inspire any makeup artist. But how many of us actually have blemish free skins? smooth and soft skins beneath our 'beautiful'? 

This post is going to show you how you can take care of your skin and how you can build up your own skincare regimen. Please forgive me for the long post...biko, ejo..





L-R: Queen Helene Gentle Oatmeal 'n Honey Facial Scrub, Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, Aveeno Daily moisturizing lotion, Queen Helene Mud Pack Masque, Clarins Extra Comfort Toning Lotion, Clarins Moisture-Rich Body Lotion, Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser

Before you start building your makeup regimen you should know what type of skin you have. Dermatologists have classified skin types based on the following:

Dry or oily
Pigmented or non-pigmented
Wrinkled or tight
Sensitive or resistant

After knowing what type of skin you have, you may now proceed to prepare for your daily skincare routine


CLEANSER:

This is a product that is used to remove make-up, dead skin cells, oil, dirt, and other types of pollutants from the skin of the face. This helps to unclog pores and prevent skin conditions such as acne.
Most people use the regular toilet bar soaps to cleanse their face or remove makeup..STOP IT!!!
  • Bar soap has a high pH (in the area of 9 to 10), and skin's natural pH is 5.5. This means that soap can change the balance present in the skin to favor the overgrowth of some types of bacteria, increasing acne.
  • Using bar soap on the face can remove natural oils from the skin that form a barrier against water loss. This causes the sebaceous glands to subsequently overproduce oil, a condition known as reactive seborrhoea, which will lead to clogged pores.



I use the Clarins Gentle foaming cleanser with cottonseed. I've been using this cleanser for over 5 years now and I'm not going to stop anytime soon! It does everything for me, remove make-up, dead skin cells, oil, dirt, fade blemishes and spots and prevents acne. The only con is it is quite expensive for a cleanser.

Drugstore cleansers also do the job and are budget friendly. My favorite drugstore cleansers have to be Cetaphil and SuperDrug's Tea Tree facial cleanser. Neutrogena's oil free acne wash is good for acne prone shin and it is also budget friendly. 

 


TONER:


 A skin toner or toning lotion is designed to cleanse the skin and shrink the appearance of pores. Toners can be applied to the skin in different ways but most found on the market are usually applied with a damp cotton wool. 
Have dry or sensitive skin? Use an alcohol-free toner. Those with dry skin should avoid using astringents or toners that have retinols, glycolics, or benzoyl peroxide in them. These will be too drying and may even cause the skin to breakout.

Astringents are the strongest form of toner and contain a high proportion of alcohol (20-60%), antiseptic ingredients, water, and a humectant ingredient.'These are strictly for oily skins as they are drying. I stay away from astringents and I highly recommend that if you have to use it (i.e if you have OILY, ACNE PRONE SKIN) it should be applied only to problem areas of skin, such as spots because the removal of oil from the skin can lead to excess oil production as the skin tries to compensate for this and prevent moisture loss.
                      


I use the Clarins Extra Comfort Toning Lotion for Dry or sensitized skin and again I've been using this for years and it does everything!! The price and availability are the only issues I have with it.

*BUY: Clarins products can be found at www.konga.com. Another online store that stocks Clarins is glamour .com and you can find them here .You can find these drugstore cleansers pictured below at any Health Plus, Medplus pharmacy the Palms shopping mall, Lekki, also at Ikeja shopping mall. Be sure to look for good licensed pharmacies too as most of them stock drugstore skincare products

MASK: 

Masks are important but most people do not know this! Infact this is one of the most important products in MY skin care routine!  Masks have different purposes; deep-cleansing, by penetrating the pores; healing acne scars or hyper-pigmentation; brightening, for a gradual illumination of the skin tone. Some masks are designed to dry or solidify on the face, almost like plaster; others just remain wet. They revitalize, heal and refresh the skin

I use Queen Helene Mint Julep and Mud Pack with English Clay masques! They are AMAZING! I've recommended this to a few people and honestly I haven't heard any bad reviews! They dry up acne pimples, rinse away blackheads and shrink enlarged pores.It's like magic in a tube. When you rinse off the mask you get a brighter, tighter and firmer skin! The Mint Julep masque is especially good for oily, acne prone skin and the mud pack masque with english clay is good for tightening pores, fighting age lines and wrinkles( yes I'm already protecting myself from these evil wrinkles seeing as I want to look as radiant as Agbani Darego when i'm thirty!)

These products are highly recommended and as i find no fault in them.

FACIAL SCRUB


A facial scrub is used for exfoliating the face. Exfoliating helps in removing dead skin which leaves a layer of younger, healthier skin behind. Regular use of an exfoliant can keep skin smooth and glowing, by constantly exposing new skin. Many face scrubs also include moisturizers, so they nourish the skin while removing dead skin. Use of a face scrub can also remove lingering facial makeup which may not have been totally cleaned earlier.

I use the Queen Helene Oatmeal and Honey Facial scrub. Made from natural oatmeal and soothing honey, the extra gentle exfoliating action of oatmeal draws out impurities, unclogs pores and removes dry, dead cells from the surface of your skin.Honey helps replenish lost moisture and protects your skin from the harsh elements. The result is skin that looks fresh and healthy and feels soft and smooth. It can be used on ALL skin types. this also doubles as a full body scrub. i use it in the shower to exfoliate my body, i also use it as a lip scrub for my chapped lips. Winner? hell yeah!


                                                 

*BUY:  You can buy these Queen Helene products listed above at OluMakeovers. Just send a mail. You can also get these products at licensed and good pharmacies. At least that way you are sure of getting the original. Trust me fake cosmetic and makeup products are dangerous to your skin and health



MOISTURIZERS

Gently cleansing the face removes dead skin cells, dirt and bacteria, but it also strips the skin of needed hydration. Water not oil in the skin keeps it plump and smooth, whereas dry skin loses elasticity, making it more prone to developing wrinkles. Facial moisturizers, which are usually lipid-based, lock in that water by either blocking it from escaping from the outermost layer of skin or drawing water from the inner dermis toward the top the of skin
If you have sensitive skin, fragrance-free and oil-free moisturizers would work for you. For oilier faces, make sure you look for the noncomedogenic (non-clogging) formulas.
I would also advice you look for moisturizers with sunscreen. This helps prevent the damage sunrays cause and help with a better looking complexion

I use the Aveeno daily moisturizer because it is oil free, fragrance free, chemical free and it locks the moisture inside for up to 24 hours...best believe. This moisturizer is great for those with dry skin even as all over body moisturizer. It also has dimethicone which is a skin protectant. ( i have a love-hate relationship with sunscreens but dimethicone works perfectly for me)

*BUY: I recently purchased two bottles from www.konga.com when my mum and I ran out and as usual, it was priced reasonably and delivered on time. Goooo Konga!






Olay, Sebamed, Eucerin  Neutrogena also do wonderful moisturizers..they are drugstore products so you wont have to pay through your nose

*BUY: They can be found at Health Plus pharmacy the Palms shopping mall, Lekki, also at Ikeja shopping mall. Be sure to look for good licensed pharmacies too as most of them stock drugstore skincare products

ROUTINE!

* I cleanse my face and neck, morning and Night with my Clarins Cleanser, sometimes with warm water..(if i have makeup on, I use baby wipes to wipe off the makeup before cleansing).
* Next i use cotton-balls to apply my toner all over my face and neck (toners/astringent are not meant to be pressed into the skin. Gently use a cotton ball in circular motions to lift dirt off)
* Next I use my Aveeno moisturizer all over my face and neck. Fin.
* I use my Queen Helene Scrub twice a week, normally before I use the cleanser.
* My Queen Helene masks i use also twice a week. I scrub, cleanse, then apply the mask. After taking off the masks I complete the routine with my toner and moisturizer as stated above.


That's it ladies! That's my personal skincare routine. Even as a product junkie i try to keep things simple using as few products as possible. So please dust off the laziness ( i know how skincare routine can be tedious and all that), and help your skin glow, so we can be able to 'take it all off' without being insecure of what's beneath. Besides makeup lays better with a more healthy skin!

What products do you use in your own routine, do you know about some amazing products? please use the comment box to share!

“I always say that the skin you take care of in your teens, and 20′s is the skin you will inherit in your 30′s, 40′s and beyond"-------Iman. Words of wisdom!




Please don't forget to follow us on twitter @themakeuptales and like our facebook page...www.facebook.com/olumakeovers  check out for the buttons on the right hand side of this page. Also make sure you don't miss a post  by subscribing by email down below! 






Your Comrade in Beauty,



  







Omosalewa

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. I will definetly try all dis fins....fank u

    ReplyDelete
  2. I officially love your blog! This is good information..really didn't know masks were quite helpful. Please update more x_x thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you adana!! Working towards having more frequents blogposts! Thanks for the support x

      Delete
  3. Fantastic!!Just what I needed
    Thank u Olu*mwah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you recommend for badly badly badly damaged scarred skin. I can't go anywhere without makeup. It is that bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is that bad as you say, i suggest you drop all products you have been using and see a dermatologist as soon as possible! it may take more pharmaceuticals than drugstore products! Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  5. I know I should be reading the posts, but damn!! The transformations are soooo nice. The girls are pretty for sure, but makeup is good! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it live it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. makeup lover.12 January, 2013

    I love this blog. Your writeups are really cool and informative. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is beautiful. U defintely have a future customer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice. I keep up with my skincare regimen...I'm very oily skinned so I buy oil free products. Problem is when I apply my makeup..after a while, my face looks like oil production plant..I use MAC and the rest..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi chi, you might want to consider using primers and oil blocking creams before applying foundation and other makeup products

      Delete
  10. Wow, would start trying things. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous...u the best have seen!!!nice blog, Keep it up.Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous...u the best have seen!!!nice blog, Keep it up.Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pls I want u to form makeup routine for me, my skin is sensitive,but complextion on somebody parts are nt thesame for instance:my leg complextion is darker than my hand.I believe u undastand wat I mean.looking forward for u quick response.THANKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not send her a mail instead?

      Delete
  14. Pls how do I subscribe by mail oh.......don't wanna miss any post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello pee-mano there is a subscibe button just down below when you use the web view! cheers x

      Delete
  15. No over the top products, will definately try the routine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. but Aunty Salewa u only told us how to care for our face not our whole body.. plz kindly recommend good toning creams that'd make one's complexion really bright.. tired of using all dem tube creams and mixing dem in my cream. plz help. You knw ure our saviour...loooooool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am bookmarking ur page on my iPad now
      Brilliant u, wl sure be putting my bit too
      Just saw ur blog on LI now and clicked - voila u r good
      Try some Makari products for ur skin toning, they r free from hydroquinone as u want to be safe and I have friends using them wt very positive results
      Sassybabe

      Delete
  17. Very informative, and shows u ve been doin a lot of background work.....keep it up.....way to go. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We also stock Queen Helene Mint Julep masks at our e-store. It's really great for acne and oily skin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We also stock Queen Helene Mint Julep masks at our e-store. It's really great for acne and oily skin! http://thesizzlingmommy.com/store/?wpsc-product=queen-helene-mint-julep-masque

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honestly,I think I should just make you my personal beautician

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello would really like to have a chat with you....Chidinma

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely make up!!

    http://labellavitahearts.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. how come am just knowing this blog? *sadface* well, i wont a miss a thing again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a nice one.pls I really want to control oil on my face pls can u recommend any oil control that is very good oil from my face normally make my makeup Not to look nice

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just stumbled across your blog! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's not just the products though, it's their overall outlook, check these guys out

    ReplyDelete

Your comment would mean so much!! x